Published on May 24th, 2013 | by Mark Ammay0
Choosing a Domain and Hosting – Part 5
We end this long week with this guide to choosing a domain and hosting. You can test our website in our browser, play around with JSFIDDLE, and preview your site all night long, but eventually you’ll want to set up your own website on your own domain.
What You’ll Learn / Get:
- Your own domain name
- A self-hosted website
- Unlimited possibilities
Step 1 – Web Hosting Service
There are tons of web hosting companies out there, and instead of me bombarding you with info on which is better than the other, here’s some info on the web hosting service that I use, IX Web Hosting.
You need a web hosting service to host all of your websites (yes, plural because you’ll probably have more then one website), and here are 4 things to look for:
IX Web Hosting Gives You:
- A FREE Domain name: Depending on your plan, you can get 1 to 3 FREE domain names with your hosting plan!
- Dedicated Server(s): Make sure that your site is on a dedicated server. It’s not only better for SEO, but also for Security!
- Unlimited Disk Space / Bandwidth: Don’t get charged “all of a sudden” for too much bandwidth like other web hosting services!
- Great Customer Service: I’ve only had great customer service from IX Web Hosting, since 2008!
- (bonus) Affiliate Program: Oh, and why not sign up as an affiliate? Get a commission for every friend that signs up that you recommend.
Watch Exactly What You’re Paying For:
Watch this video I made for you, to take you behind the scenes of IX Web Hosting.
Step 2 – Choose a Memorable Domain Name
Now when choosing a domain name, you want to take your time. I know you may be super excited, but the worst thing you can do is purchase (or use up a FREE domain name with IX Web Hosting), and then REALIZE your domain name sucked! This has happened time and time again with myself as well as clients, and even other web developers.
Here’s a few tips on choosing a domain name:
- Choose a memorable, and easy-to-read domain name
- Try to reserve a .com site
- A .net or .org site will also be okay, but a .com is best
- Avoid using too many hyphens in your domain name
- Be aware of using numbers and letters like 0 and o
- Need more domain name tips? Listen to this: Domain Name Tips (external link)
Again, if you use IX Web Hosting, you will get a FREE domain name, which will save you some time and effort (as opposed to having to buy your domain name from a different company, switch the name servers and then wait 24-48 hours!)
Up Next: How To Upload Using FTP
You have your web hosting service and a great domain name, now what? It’s time to upload your website!